My kids LOVE playdough. I have a love-hate relationship with it. It's fun, and I love the sensory play of it, but my hang up is, no matter what, there is playdough bits everywhere, and I don't love the ingredients that is in it. Plus, its really cheap to make on your own!
I have made playdough in the past, and always just google a recipe and hope for the best. This time I have been trying to perfect a recipe that I love the texture, and how long it lasts.
Last week, I found a new recipe that was recommended from a friend, we made it, and althought it was 'good' I didn't feel it was great. The salt didn't disolve enought and it was quick grainy and rough, and after a few days, the clean up was huge, so much pieces that would fall off and wouldn't easily stick in the ball.
I decided to make it again and alter a couple steps and see if it helped, and I think I actually made my best batch of playdough ever! My kids have been playing with it all week, it is still so soft, and bonus, I added essential oils to it so it smells great, and your hands smell and feel good after you've been playing with it.
So, what you have been waiting for, the Recipe.
- 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used baby oil, but vegetable oil and coconut oil work well too)
- 1/2 cup salt.
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in increments until it feels just right)
- gel food colouring (optional)
- few drops glycerine
1. In bowl mix together, flour, oil, cream of tartar.
2. In separate measuring cup pour bowling water and add salt (this is key to let the salt dissolve before adding it to the dry mixture)
3. Pour salt-water mixture into flour mixtures and stir until everything is blended.
4. Knead dough. Keep kneading. This step is crucial to the playdough stretch and softness you are wanting. Sometimes I have added a little extra flour if its still feels sticky, but be careful to not over add, and dry out the playdough.
5. Split dough into balls for different colors. (or leave plain!). Add a few drops of food coloring/gel to get desired color.
6. Store in airtight container when not in use.
7. Enjoy hours of play!